Inventory control

Types of Inventories

[COLOR=black][FONT=Calibri][B]
Raw material
• Components (sub-assemblies)
• Work-in-process: waiting in the system for processing
or being processed (JIT reduces WIP to a minimum).
• Finished goods (products): also known as end items.
Reasons for holding Inventories
Economies of Scale: savings in large orders
• Uncertainty in delivery lead times: lost customers
• Speculation: changing costs over time
• Transportation: large investments in pipelines
• Smoothing: dealing with demand variations
• Inventory Control costs: increase with lower levels of inventory.
Characteristics of Inventory Systems
Demand
• May Be Known or Uncertain (random)
• Rate may be constant or variable
Lead Times (τ):
• Time that elapses from placement of order until it’s arrival.
Internally, it’s the time required to produce an item.
Review Time:
• Is system reviewed periodically or is system state known at
all times?
Excess demand:
• Is either back-ordered or lost Inventory Costs
Holding Costs (h):
• Costs proportional to the quantity of inventory physically
on hand.
• Includes: Physical Cost of Space, Taxes and Insurance, Breakage
Spoilage and Deterioration , and Opportunity Cost of alternative
investment.
• Convenient to express holding cost in terms of dollars
per unit per year.
• If c is the dollar value of the inventory unit, and I is the
annual interest rate, then h = Ic.

[/b][/font][/color]

جزاك الله خيرا على المشاركة ويفضل المشاركة باللغة العربية

thank you

بارك الله فيك على المعلومات القيمة، ممكن اتفيدني اكثر بموضوع عن الرفف المستخدمة في المخازن ومعدات المناولة بالمخازن وكذلك الرقابة على المخزون، وبارك الله فيك

Material Handling Equipment

Material handling equipment (MHE) is used for the movement and storage of material within a facility or at a site. MHE can be classified into the following five major categories:

[ol]
[li][I]Transport Equipment[/i]. Equipment used to move material from one location to another (e.g., between workplaces, between a loading dock and a storage area, etc.). The major subcategories of transport equipment are conveyors, cranes, and industrial trucks. Material can also be transported manually using no equipment.[/li][/ol][ol]
[li][I]Positioning Equipment[/i]. Equipment used to handle material at a single location so that it is in the correct position for subsequent handling, machining, transport, or storage. Unlike transport equipment, positioning equipment is usually used for handling at a single workplace. Material can also be positioned manually using no equipment.[/li][/ol][ol]
[li][I]Unit Load Formation Equipment[/i]. Equipment used to restrict materials so that they maintain their integrity when handled a single load during transport and for storage. If materials are self-restraining (e.g., a single part or interlocking parts), then they can be formed into a unit load with no equipment.[/li][/ol][ol]
[li][I]Storage Equipment[/i]. Equipment used for holding or buffering materials over a period of time. Some storage equipment may include the transport of materials (e.g., the S/R machines of an AS/RS, or storage carousels). If materials are block stacked directly on the floor, then no storage equipment is required.[/li][/ol][ol]
[li][I]Identification and Control Equipment[/i]. Equipment used to collect and communicate the information that is used to coordinate the flow of materials within a facility and between a facility and its suppliers and customers. The identification of materials and associated control can be performed manually with no specialized equipment.[/li][/ol]

I. Transport Equipment

A. Conveyors

[ol]
[li]Chute conveyor[/li][li]Wheel conveyor[/li][li]Roller conveyor[/li][li]Chain conveyor[/li][li]Slat conveyor[/li][li]Flat belt conveyor[/li][li]Magnetic belt conveyor[/li][li]Troughed belt conveyor[/li][li]Bucket conveyor[/li][li]Vibrating conveyor[/li][/ol][ol]
[li]Screw conveyor[/li][li]Pneumatic conveyor[/li][li]Vertical conveyor[/li][li]Cart-on-track conveyor[/li][li]Tow conveyor[/li][li]Trolley conveyor[/li][li]Power-and-free conveyor[/li][li]Monorail[/li][li]Sortation conveyor[/li][/ol]
B. Cranes

[ol]
[li]Jib crane[/li][li]Bridge crane[/li][li]Gantry crane[/li][li]Stacker crane[/li][/ol]
C. Industrial Trucks

[ol]
[li]Hand truck[/li][li]Pallet jack[/li][li]Walkie stacker[/li][li]Pallet truck[/li][li]Platform truck[/li][li]Counterbalanced lift truck[/li][li]Narrow-aisle straddle truck[/li][/ol][ol]
[li]Narrow-aisle reach truck[/li][li]Turret truck[/li][li]Order picker[/li][li]Sideloader[/li][li]Tractor-trailer[/li][li]Personnel and burden carrier[/li][li]Automatic guided vehicle (AGV)[/li][/ol]
D. No Equipment

_
II. Positioning Equipment

[ol]
[li]Manual (no equipment)[/li][li]Lift/tilt/turn table[/li][li]Dock leveler[/li][li]Ball transfer table[/li][li]Rotary index table[/li][li]Parts feeder[/li][/ol][ol]
[li]Air film device[/li][li]Hoist[/li][li]Balancer[/li][li]Manipulator[/li][li]Industrial robot[/li][/ol]
III. Unit Load Formation Equipment

[ol]
[li]Self-restraining (no equipment)[/li][li]Pallets[/li][li]Skids[/li][li]Slipsheets[/li][li]Tote pans[/li][li]Pallet boxes/skid boxes[/li][li]Bins/baskets/racks[/li][li]Cartons[/li][/ol][ol]
[li]Bags[/li][li]Bulk load containers[/li][li]Crates[/li][li]Intermodal containers[/li][li]Strapping/tape/glue[/li][li]Shrink-wrap/stretch-wrap[/li][li]Palletizers[/li][/ol]
IV. Storage Equipment

[ol]
[li]Block stacking (no equipment)[/li][li]Selective pallet rack[/li][li]Drive-through rack[/li][li]Drive-in rack[/li][li]Flow-through rack[/li][li]Push-back rack[/li][li]Sliding rack[/li][/ol][ol]
[li]Cantilever rack[/li][li]Stacking frame[/li][li]Shelves/bins/drawers[/li][li]Storage carousel[/li][li]Automatic storage/retrieval systems (AS/RS)[/li][li]Split case order picking system[/li][li]Mezzanine[/li][/ol]
V. Identification and Communication Equipment

[ol]
[li]Manual (no equipment)[/li][li]Bar codes[/li][li]Radio frequency (RF) tag[/li][li]Magnetic stripe[/li][/ol][ol]
[li]Machine vision[/li][li]Portable data terminal[/li][li]Electronic data interchange (EDI)/Internet[/li][/ol]